I just got back from a two week conference at NIMBioS, hosted by the University of Tennessee. It was great. However, I posted before I left that I had just put all my experiments in the ground and still didn’t have the power outlets installed. The question was: Will the electrical staff and power company finally get power running to the garden, after two months of telephone calls and begging?
Well. No. They didn’t. I put in the request for this work in mid-April, and the staff here and the electrical company BGE pretty much blew me off so now its only about 60% complete. The electrician just left for a new job (which wasn’t exactly a surprise) and there’s no one around to finish the work. The growing season is blowing by pretty fast, and I’m starting to worry that the incompetence of the electrician (who pretty much stopped showing up to work for the last month) and, to the same extent BGE, is going to cost me an entire year of grad school.
My two weeks at NIMBioS and my experience in trying to get things done here have opened my eyes to a new possibility: Screw experiments. Do math.